Saturday, September 15, 2007

I saw my future...

When I went to Amarillo a couple of weeks ago to see the grandparents, I had a great visit with my uncles and aunt as well. One night as we were all sitting in the living room, the subject of "did you take all your night time medicine?" came up. BOTH of my uncles (and I suspect my father would have been, too) are on mulitple medicines for various ailments many of which would not be necessary if it they lost 75 pounds (or more). Both of them carry weight in their bellies, a good indicator of future heart disease according to the medical profession. I suddenly saw my future unless I do something about it.

But I came home, got back into my normal routine and promptly forgot about the panic I felt sitting in the livingroom that night. That is until this morning. I stepped on the scale and nearly cried. Then as I got into the shower I actually saw myself in the mirror. That panic came back. Something has got to be done. I have got to do something. I know myself well enough to know that I'm not going to change what I eat completely. BUT I can, and need to, watch portions. I can change the between meal snacks to healthier options.

I also have loads of workout tapes that I can do.

So, it is up to me to change what I saw as my future. I don't want to be sitting around with my neice and nephew 25 years from now discussing if we've taken our bedtime medicine. I certainly don't want them to look at me and think, gosh, if she'd just lose weight she'd be a lot healthier and probably wouldn't need all that medicine.

Now, in all fairness to my uncles, neither seems bothered by their weight. My Aunt J even said that Uncle G is happy with his and isn't willing to do anything about it. The thing is, I'm not happy with my weight and the way I look and I am willing to do something about it. I have got to do something about it.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You go girl --- maybe put a picture of Jamie and Glen on the refrig to help you remember why you want to lose weight. YOU CAN DO IT!

Carrie said...

It's definitely more fun/much easier to put the weight on. Fighting genetics generally sucks but you'll feel better in the long run. :)