Tuesday, August 19, 2008

A post about "BEWBS"

They are in front of women all the time and always often front in the minds men. They are at the same time symbols of femininity and motherhood. Some are large and others not so much. They are perky and in your face and others are droopy and at your waist. But they are always there, out in front for the world to see.

There have been many, many blog posts about "The Girls" and "BEWBS" and "the rack" and so on and so forth. Heck, Lotus over at Sarcastic Mom has had contests to choose the best rack and sent her rack to BlogHer with a friend. A Google search for "blogs about bewbs" returned 6,720,000 hits. Obviously, we're breast obsessed. Quite a few of them were silly, light-hearted posts in blogs, but one of the top five was this blog called Boobs on Ice. Her tag line, I wasn't supposed to be a candidate for breast cancer. And then I was diagnosed., really caught my attention. How many who are diagnosed say the exact same thing?

The past few months, "bewbs" have been up front in my mind also. You see, in the past three months, I personally know two people who have been diagnosed with breast cancer and just this morning received a prayer request from my cousin about a lady she works with who has been diagnosed with very aggressive breast cancer. I don't know of anyone who hasn't been touched in some way by this awful disease.

So, what can we do about it, you ask? Well, there is an event called the Breast Cancer 3-Day. The 3-Day is a 60 mile walk over three days and while it is not part of the Koman Foundation, 85% of the proceeds go to Koman and the remaining 15% go to the National Philanthropic Trust for Breast Cancer.

Each participant is asked to raise money in order to walk. It's an event that has always intrigued me and something I've always wanted to be involved with in some way. When one of my Blogger Friends, Zee, decided to walk, I decided that I would donate to her 3-Day. I don't have the time energy to train for the event. Okay, I'll admit it, I'm just flat too lazy to train for it. But Zee is walking and is blogging about it at her One Step at a Time blog. Her event will take place on September 12-14. That's soon, folks! But the kicker is, she's only 83% of the way to her goal of $2200. So, she's raised over $1800, but still needs that other 17%. That's roughly $375.

So, bloggers, let's help Zee reach that goal. Just click here to go directly to her donation page. If you can't donate (or even if you do) leave her words of encouragement in my comments and I'll make sure she gets them. We can do this together... let's do it for the boobs!!!

3 comments:

Zee said...

Donna, you are a fantastic person. Thank you so much for your support!

It's funny, when I first started this journey, I knew only one person with breast cancer. Now I'm up to three women, all three in remission (thank God!), and I keep hearing about others.

You are awesome for getting the word out there!

<3,
~Zee

sweetgrass said...

Thank you for letting uis knoe about this and will be sending thoughts of healing and light to her.

Kimmee

Judy said...

Found this post Googling - giving support to your friend in this way is awesome..

also, the Breast Cancer 3-Day IS a Susan G. Komen for the Cure sponsored / held event. It is promos are managed by Event 360, but it is, in it's entirety a Komen event. The founder's son (her name: Nancy Brinker sister of deceased Susan G. Komen) Eric Brinker is the guest speaker during 3-Day camp & during closing ceremonies...

Again, great supporting your friend - people like you are who puts the flight to our feet (walking 60 miles in 3 days)...

Best...