Friday, July 18, 2008

An Unexpected/Expected Trip to the Panhandle

I got a sad phone call on Wednesday letting me know that Granny had passed away. She had emphysema and was diagnosed with an aeortic aneurism several months ago. She died peacefully at home. I'm sad, of course, but I am also relieved for her. She was ready to go. She was tired. She went peacefully which is all anyone can really hope for, I think.

So, after giving notice of my resignation on Monday, I took Thursday and Friday off to get ready to come/come to Amarillo for the funeral. I don't know what Boss thought about it. I don't really care, to be honest. I was coming to this funeral. I wasn't especially close to Granny, family dynamics being as they were, but I did love her and more importantly, I love my dad and wanted to be here for him. Funerals aren't for the deceased anyway, they are for those left behind.

So, tomorrow I put on my funeral dress and go be there for my daddy. I will do my very best not to get irritated at anyone or irritate anyone. Still, I'm taking my car to the little town where the funeral is being held so I can come home when I need to. The cats (yes, I brought them, too -- that is a whole other post, though) may be my excuse to leave. We'll see. I may have to adopt the philosophy of Paula Dean's son... "I love you, I'm not above you, but I've had enough of you. Goodbye."

No comments: