Monday, May 12, 2008

I love it when a plan comes together

After my breakdown of a couple of weeks ago I really was beginning to doubt my decision to go to school online. Sure, there is the obvious advantage of not driving to Dallas three times a week (a 30 mile trip in rush hour traffic to get to school and a 30 mile return trip home at 9:00 or 9:30 at night... ugh!) and the serious advantage of not having to pay for gasoline for said trips and saving wear and tear on my car. But there are disadvantages, too. It takes a whole lot more self-discipline to "go" to school at home on my couch. The total time I spend "at" school is about double what it was when I was on-ground in night school. (Okay, so that one is an advantage, also, but it makes for long days.) I don't have the immediate feedback of an instructor or other students when I need help. The learning curve for online has been much steeper than I imagined it would be. All-in-all, however, I think online school is going to be good for me. I once again feel as though I am progressing and not so much like I'm overwhelmed and just want to pitch the steno machine, computer and the whole works off the balcony and run away flailing my arms and screaming until the nice young men in the clean white coats come and take me away (hahaaaa). **

Thursday this week, I am meeting a reporter/firm owner from Amarillo to discuss doing my internship and a possible job with her until I pass my state certification. (anti-jinx, knock wood, I don't want to jinx it!:) The job wouldn't begin until probably January and my current job will likely end in September, but that time can most definitely be spent practicing if I don't pass the September certification exam. I have spoken with the reporter on the phone several times and she seems genuinely excited that I'm as close to finished as I am and that I plan to move to Amarillo. There is a shortage of reporters in Amarillo and they NEED new blood, evidently. :) And all of that came from a cold call one afternoon when I was looking for information on interning.

Another funny thing happened... when Daddy was on his flight to Amarillo when P was injured, he sat next to a lady who happens to be the vice president of TCRA (That's the Texas Court Reporter's Association). He got her business card and she said for me to call her. I did and she is excited at my planning to move to Amarillo. She is just a good person to know because she knows everyone who is anyone in Texas court reporting, and I'm supposed to meet with her the next time I'm in Amarillo.

So, school and the plans for my future seem to be coming together nicely. I have to admit, it's a little overwhelming, but exciting at the same time.

**Yes, I actually do know the majority of the lyrics to that song and many, many others thanks to years of listening to silly songs and singing silly songs with my mom as a kid...

1 comment:

Michelle said...

So glad things are coming together for you! It's always comforting when the plan comes together!! :) Best of luck to you!! And glad your nephew is doing well! Have a great week! :)