Friday, September 5, 2008

Public Service Announcement: How To Vote

No, I'm not going to tell you *who* to vote for. I'm not even going to tell you who I'm voting for, although those who know me know who I will likely vote for. This post is a guide to how to decide who to vote for.

You see, I have noticed an alarming trend in recent years, and in this upcoming Presidential election especially. That trend is a movement toward moving away from voting actual issues and instead voting on pure emotion. In other words, people are voting for charisma or gender or simply against someone they don't like. Personally, I think this is a lot of what's wrong with politics today.

Anyway, this is simply my take on how voting should be done.

First, don't look at the candidate as a person. What!? you ask. No, seriously. If you look at the person, emotion gets involved. You might vote because he's "old and wise" or "young and charismatic."

Second, write out a list of your "hot button" issues. Yes, with a pen and paper (or a computer and keyboard if you're more inclined) sit down and think about what is important to you. Are you pro-choice, pro-family, want lower taxes, think strong borders are important? Well, write those down, then rank them in order of importance. I recommend at least 10 "hot button" issues, but you can have more.

Third, with list in hand research where the candidates stand on these issues. Here, I'll help you with a few online resources to get you started: On the Issues, Free Market Foundation, Project Vote Smart. (In the interest of full disclosure, I've not read any of these three websites for information, yet. I will, but I haven't yet.)

Finally, make your decisions based on your own study and opinions and thoughts. Don't rely on friends, family or (*shudder*) the main stream media for your information. Read and think for yourself. Please?

5 comments:

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Well said! I couldn't agree with you more. Especially on looking at MORE THAN ONE "hot button" issue!

Lori Watson said...

This is great advice. Hope you don't mind, but I am going to share the link to this post on my blog. I don't think I could have said it better!

Donna said...

By all means, post a link to it.

Susie said...

Excellent advice, Donna, thank you!

Meg said...

I was ready and raing to vote bythe time I was six. Non used to bring me to the polls with her let me watch. I registered the month I turned 18 and started that novenber.