AKA... Things I learned in the Third Grade.
In no particular order...
1) The state was an independent nation from 1836 to 1845 and Texas is the only state to enter the United States by treaty instead of territorial annexation.
2) Six flags have flown over Texas: Spain, France, Mexico, The Republic of Texas, The Confederacy, and The United States
3) The state bird is the Mockingbird
4) The state flower is the Bluebonnet
5) The state song is Texas Our Texas written by Composer William J. Marsh of Fort Worth along with lyricist Gladys Yoakum Wright
6) The state tree is the Pecan tree (pu-con not pee-can)
7) Texas blue topaz is the state gemstone
8) Texas' state insect is the monarch butterfly
9) The Armor-plated armadillo is the offical state small mammal, Guadalupe bass is the state fish, the the Mexican Free-tailed Bat is the state flying mammal, and the state large mammal is the Longhorn
10) The official dish of Texas is chili
11) The state grass is the sideoats grama
12) The state motto is "friendship"
13) The state pepper is the jalapeño
14) The dome of the Capitol Building, in Austin, stands seven feet higher than that of the nation's Capitol in Washington, D.C.
15) Texas is known as the Lone Star State