Saturday, November 3, 2007

Day 3: It's Caturday...

Well, according to the website Icanhascheezburger.com anyway. I love to go to that site when I need a little pick-me-up because there is always something there to make me laugh.

But most days, my own kitties will make me laugh with their antics. So, just as an introduction, here they are and the story of how I got them.
I moved to the DFW area about 13 years ago. A year or so after I moved down here, I decided, after much thought and consideration, I wanted a cat. I was toying with the idea that I'd get two so they could keep each other company, but probably I'd only get one. I wanted a kitten or young teen cat. I went to many, many SPCA, local rescues, etc. looking for the "right" one. I found a kitten I adored, but the Humane Society wouldn't let me have him... I refused to sign the paperwork saying I'd never do have a cat declawed. The DNA-ed (Do Not Adopt) me and humiliated me in front of a group of people by announcing they were DNA-ing me and why. (I have to admit, I did have my cats declawed, but knowing what I know now I wouldn't ever have another cat declawed.)

I left dejected and started calling around. I found a small pet food store about an hour away that had kittens for "sale" (technically a donation to the owner's TNR (Trap Neuter Release) effort)... they were rescued by the owner of the shop's rescue organization and they were available. I drove over immediately and was greeted by three beautiful about 12-week-old. long-haired, identical black kittens. I selected the shy one in the corner, who became known as Buddy. As I was checking out, I heard this pitiful cry from the cage they were in.... up popped this tiny, bat-eared, blue eyed kitten from the litter box. He stood there on his back legs crying. He was so tiny and pathetic sounding that I asked about him. The owner said that he was the "runt" of the litter... (the nursing mom had been trapped and the kittens collected with her). He was so pathetic that I got him too and named him Maximillian. When I took them to the vet, he said that it was more likely that Maxie was a second "litter" and was born while moma kitty was still nursing the babies from the previous litter... Moma was a Maine Coon mix and Max and Buddy are half-brothers. And, as they say, the rest is history!

1 comment:

Carrie said...

You forgot to mention Max's ginormous noggin. :D