Sunday, November 25, 2007

Day 25: Home Sweet Home

It is great to visit family, but it is also great to be home. It's funny to me that as an adult, you are always "going home." I went "home" for Thanksgiving on Wednesday because I went to where my parents are. That is always home. Today, I came to my own place, I came home.

Anyway, the drive in wasn't nearly as bad as I feared it would be. Slow in the areas I expected, but never a dead stop like I feared it would be and has been on other trips. Most people were driving sanely and the ones who weren't tended to meet Texas' finest.

Traveling with my cats is an experience. I know the whole time I was at Moma & Daddy's house, I was afraid the cats were annoying everyone. Maxie has the most annoying (to me) meow when he is upset, feels he's being left out of the festivities, or just wants attention. On the way home, there was no calming him. He was between the blanket and the car seat yowling at me. It's this deep gutteral "MIIRRWOOOOOWWWWW" sound that tends to carry. He did it in the garage at Mom's (where he could get a lovely echo going) and in the car THE WHOLE WAY HOME (with the exception of a few minutes here and there) just to let me know his displeasure at his situation. Buddy was calmly laying on the center console touching me. As long as he was touching me, he was fine

So, now I am home, the car is unloaded, the cats have been fed and are wandering around sniffing everything to make sure nothing has changed in the four days since they were here. I need to unpack and do a couple of loads of laundry and fold some of the laundry I left undone when I left. But it can wait. I'm home now. I'm on my own couch with my feet on the coffee table relaxing. It's good to be home.

2 comments:

The byrd said...

YAY! I can't wait to go home tomorrow to my critters. I'm glad the trip wasn't so bad going home.

Julie said...

I feel for you with the yowling cat...I have been trapped in a car with an animal or a child who was very vocal about their displeasure with the whole thing. Not at all pleasant.

I love being home after everyone is settled and life is normal. I also love being away from home and traveling to new places. I guess it makes sense -- you can't love getting home from a trip if you don't go anywhere...