Monday, November 26, 2007

Day 26: I love Christmas!

I love Christmas. I really, really do. I love the fact that for one month out of the year almost everyone has a giving spirit and even people who normally are the me-me-me type will help organize food drives and toy drives for those who are less fortunate. I love the Salvation Army Bell Ringers in front of stores who always wish you a Merry Christmas with a smile no matter the weather. I love the tradition in the Dallas/ Ft. Worth area of Troy Dungan's Santa's Helpers that collects toys for the Toys for Tots Toy Drive. (And seeing all those Marines in dress uniforms is a decided bonus!)

I love the decorations and lights on houses and in stores. I even love decorating my own house even thought I'm likely the only one that will see it. I love putting my Nativity Scene (which is just like the one I grew up with) on my mantle even if that is the only decorations I put out for the year. Christmas is just a fun time of year, in my opinion.

I love the Christmas Season and all the things that go with it except one thing -- Radio stations changing their format to ONLY play Christmas music on Friday after Thanksgiving. I realize that most artists have recorded a Christmas album and has a rendition of Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas that only gets airtime once a year, but how many times do I have to hear Silent Night or Oh Holy Night in one day? Just because different artists sing it, it isn't a different song! Throw in a Christmas tune once in a while, even a couple of times an hour, but still play normal music, too, please. Pretty please with sugar plums on top?

It is no wonder people are sick of Christmas by Christmas Day and the bah-humbugs have taken over. There is such thing as overkill and Christmas music all-day-every-day would be that for me.

3 comments:

The byrd said...

I am one of those people that DREADS Christmas every year for that reason alone! I think its funny now.. that they do it in Atlanta for all of November(the whole month) AND December.

Donna said...

The station I normally listen to did that a couple of years ago -- start with the Christmas music on November 1 -- and several people had fits and they now make a big deal about "listening to their listeners" and not starting the Christmas music until after Thanksgving.... They leave the Thanks in Thanksgiving, they say. But the year they started Christmas on November 1, I even wrote an e-mail to the station manager complaining and told him I'd listen again in January. I guess maybe I should do the same again.

Anonymous said...

I think Christmas music is quite possible the best part about Christmas - well, except the presents ;)