Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Day 25: Canned Cranberry Sauce or Fresh Cranberry Relish?

A message board I participate in had a discussion today about cranberry sauces. Personally, I prefer a fresh cranberry relish.

My Granny B made one that I adored. I looked forward to it every year. Granny was not known for her cooking, but that cranberry relish was a favorite of mine. I asked for her recipe on year and she gave it to me in a Christmas card. I meant to keep that card and I think I did for a couple of years, but at some point I lost it. I could kick myself for losing it. I have been on a quest for "her" recipe for a couple of years now.

I've found one that is really close... close enough, really. Here it is...

Ingredients:

1/2 cup walnut halves
1/2 cup sugar
5 strips orange zest
2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries (donot thaw if using frozen berries)
1/2 large navel orange, peeled, cut into quarters

Instructions: Preheat oven to 350° F. Place walnuts in a baking pan and toast until golden brown and fragrant, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cool slightly.

Insert metal blade in food processor. Process sugar and zest until finely chopped, about 45 seconds. Add cranberries, orange and reserved nuts; pulse until coarsely chopped, about 10 to 12 times. Pulse several more times if a finer consistency is desired.

Or, if you prefer...

5 comments:

Karen said...

Yep......cranberries in a can....they even give you the nice ridges in the can to provide cutting marks when you go to slice it!

Patsy said...

I'm with Karen -- comes with cutting lines. But if you want Granny's recipe remind me after I get home and I'll email it to you. That one is very similar -- she used pecan instead of walnuts.

IdaR said...

You can just keep all those cranberries to yourselves. Of course, cranberries don't go well with meatloaf, anyway! Happy T-day!

Donna said...

Mom, you have Granny's actual recipe? Woohoo!!

Julie said...

My Dad makes something similar, although we don't add the nuts. Just a bag of cranberries, an orange peel and all, and a cup of sugar (more or less, to taste) all whirled up in a food processor. Very very tasty.