Monday, November 3, 2008

Day 3: Public Service Announcement: How to Vote

Tomorrow is election day. If you want the right to complain about the government if "your" candidate isn't elected (or even if he is), you have to vote. If you do't vote, you don't get so-called "bitchin' rights."

No, I'm not going to tell you *who* to vote for. I'm not even going to tell you who I voted for, although those who know me know who I likely voted for. (I early voted last Wednesday to avoid the lines on election day.) This post is a guide to how to decide who to vote for.

You see, I have noticed an alarming trend in recent years, and in this upcoming Presidential election especially. That trend is a movement toward moving away from voting actual issues and instead voting on pure emotion. In other words, people are voting for charisma or gender or simply against someone they don't like. Personally, I think this is a lot of what's wrong with politics today.

Anyway, this is simply my take on how voting should be done.

First, don't look at the candidate as a person. What!? you ask. No, seriously. If you look at the person, emotion gets involved. You might vote because he's "old and wise" or "young and charismatic."

Second, write out a list of your "hot button" issues. Yes, with a pen and paper (or a computer and keyboard if you're more inclined) sit down and think about what is important to you. Are you pro-choice, pro-family, want lower taxes, think strong borders are important? Well, write those down, then rank them in order of importance. I recommend at least 10 "hot button" issues, but you can have more.

Third, with list in hand research where the candidates stand on these issues. Don't just rely on sound-bytes from network media. Don't rely on what you hear on the news. Go to unbiased websites (or even somewhat biased ones) that have answers to questions from the candidates that are on you "hot button" list. Read what the candidates acually believe on certain issues, look at their voting records in the Senate, think about what they really stand for and not just what the media makes them out to be.

Finally, go to the polls tomorrow and cast your ballot based on your own study and opinions and thoughts. Don't rely on friends, family or (*shudder*) the main stream media for your information. Read and think for yourself. Please?

8 comments:

Patsy said...

Yea for you!

Pamela said...

nicely said

Debbie@Like a Rose said...

Good advice. I am very encouraged by the number of voters expected this year. I worked the poles for many years and the turnout numbers always upset me.

I'm with you on the "NASCAR uniforms" thought on your sidebar!!

IdaR said...

I really hope that people have done all these things before now, the night before the elections. I am afraid, however, that there are a LOT of people voting from their emotions and what they have heard others say about this candidate or that candidate. But the most important thing is to VOTE!!

Momisodes said...

Very well said. I cannot wait to cast my vote tomorrow.

Anonymous said...

I have to thnak you so much for this post. I purely thought I was voting for McCain, but when I looked at all the hot button issues, I realized Obama is the man to lead this great country.
God Bless.

Donna said...

Evidently, we had different hot button issues, but I'm glad you thought for yourself.

Anonymous said...

As is your point. I never thought I would come to this conclusion. Thanks again for validating that I can think for myself and support a Democrat. Obama will be there for every race and socio-economic demographic, just like Jesus Christ was. God is good.